[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Ron Cleven Ron at Cleven.com
Wed Oct 10 21:22:37 EDT 2007

> That was not my response. My response was that I didn't say they would
> sell it.  Monetizing IP resources is not far-fetched. That's what ISPs
> do.  That's what everyone does. _You_ were the one who asserted that
> meant selling IP addresses. But that was just silliness on your part.
>
> _You_ invented the far-fetched plans, attributed them to me, and then
> ridiculed your plans as far-fetched.
>
> The fact is that no one else has any say whatsoever over their plans,
> far-fetched or not.  You do not get to impose rules or fees on Legacy's.

Not me, no, I'm not the one imposing rules or collecting fees, ARIN is,
let me make that perfectly clear.  Much as I'd like to have the
authority, I don't think I ever said I personally get to impose rules or
fees on Legacy's.  I am proposing a (not-so-original) fundamental change
in the way ARIN collects its fees that would inherently incent EVERYONE,
including large ISP's and legacy-holders to conserve their IPV4 space.
Apparently you don't believe in incenting such conservation.  I am
stunned that anyone would be against it, but that's your opinion.  Oops,
I forgot that you pointed out our Constitution would disintegrate if we
actually fixed this problem.  Can't wait until the Supreme Court hears
the case of:
    IP v. Leg.
or maybe just:
    IP v. 4

I am amused that you are still harping on the MIT portion of our
"discussion".  Can you spell f-a-c-e-t-i-o-u-s?

In any case, I give up.  There appear to be some people in this
discussion that are shilling for legacy interests and large entrenched
ISP's.  I suspect they have all the cards and all the power (and almost
all the IP's).  As it it currently operating, ARIN is complicit in this
atrocious anti-competitive behavior.

By the by, I wasn't familiar, until recently, with the groundbreaking
new comic book documentation format.  Even if they aren't being
proactive in the IPV4 conservation area, ARIN is certainly ahead of the
curve in new documentation style.  Does this mean that most network
administrators are now under the age of 19?