[arin-discuss] Legacy Legal Defense Fund and Legacy Registry

Dean Anderson dean at av8.net
Wed Oct 10 15:35:02 EDT 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Defense from what?

Defense from ARIN, if it decides there are no legal obligations to
Legacies.

> As to an alternate registry, I think such an action is very premature
> and unnecessary.

That's why we investigate the option. Its never premature to investigate
the options.

Having a separate registry certainly solves the problem of non-legacy's
continuing to want to impose new rules on Legacies.  And it solves the
continuing problem of non-legacy's complaining about having to pay for
legacy services.

Some of ARINs resources would be transferred to the Legacy Registry in
order to severe and terminate ARIN's obligations, probably a significant
chunk of ARIN surplus, whois software, etc.  An annuity on say,
$15million, would probably fund a Legacy registry forever, since the
Legacy's don't impose a significant burden on changes and there are no
new legacy's.  Its a fixed cost operation. In-addr.arpa is already
merged from several registry's.  And then provide electronic whois
services.

It looks like a pretty good idea so far.

> I also think that it would be unlikely to succeed or get buy-in from
> IANA or DOC, whichever one you choose to believe has theoretical
> control of said address space.

If the Legacy community decides it wants to have its own registry. I
don't know why IANA (a DoC function performed under contract by ICANN)
or DoC would object to their wishes.

		--Dean

617 344 9000