[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.net
Tue Oct 9 22:26:45 EDT 2007

Oops. My mistake. In May I reviewed financials, and remembered the
numbers wrong.  For some reason I thought ARIN was spending about 3
million a year. Actually, ARIN was saving almost that much, until 2007.

However, having now reviewed that again, and I have to say the budgets
have increased more than a bit, from about:

$ 7.5 million in 2005,
$ 8.6 million in 2006
$10.3 million in 2007.

About a 20% increase in expenses in one year, one flat revenue. Doesn't
seem very good. The increase is just about enough to expect to break
even. Previously ARIN had been right around 10 million a year, and ARIN
was saving up about 2 to 3 million per year, which is how the 20 million
surplus developed.  I have to question the rise in expenses.  A couple
things jump right off the page:

Indeed, as someone mailed me offlist travel is way up.  ARIN is spending
nearly $1.2 million on travel this year.  (what the he#?)

$ 898k in 2005
$ 816k in 2006
$1193k for 2007

A 46% increase in one year. Wow!

And, I wonder why ARIN is giving $50,000 to Nanog.  I don't attend ARIN
meetings because Nanog members have threatened to 'find me in alley' for
telling them that the ECPA applied to ISPs (it did apply; Jeremy Porter
made the threat). There are other dubious nefarious activities directly
or indirectly supported by Nanog, such as SORBS. Nanog supports SORBS by
silencing critics of SORBS, while giving SORBS a platform for deception,
fraud, and defamation free from any criticism and dispute.  Nanog was
also the platform by which Dan Karrenberg and Vixie launched scientific
frauds about the stability of stateful Anycast. Again, well-founded
criticism of and valid dispute were silenced on the day of Karrenberg's
announcement.  More info at http://www.iadl.org/nanog/nanog-story.html

I also rather object to ARIN having joint meetings with Nanog, since
this transfers benefits to Nanog, and doesn't seem to benefit ARIN in
any way that I can see. From looking at the Nanog meeting attendence
lists, Nanog has about 40 or so 'core' people, and a few hundred
transient members at any time who stay a few years or less.  It doesn't
really retain participants. (this may be related to the problems cited
above and elsewhere)  $50,000 is a tremendously large sum for such a
small organization.  I can't see how the interests of ARIN are benefited
by supporting Nanog, whatever its history good or bad. Lets save the
$50,000 and also not associate with disreputable groups of essentially,
radical antispammers, that threaten physical violence against those with
whom they disagree.

		--Dean

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Howard, W. Lee wrote:

> > ARIN already has such a huge surplus that it strains
> > non-profit status to have such profit: ARIN can now operate
> > for something like 7 years with no further income.
>

> ARIN's published budget for 2007 projects about
> $10,312,000 in expenses.
> http://www.arin.net/about_us/corp_docs/budget.html
>
> ARIN's unrestricted net assets as of December 31, 2006
> were $20,413,323.
> http://www.arin.net/about_us/corp_docs/annual/2006_audited_financials.pd
>

> I routinely check with ARIN's financial and legal advisors
> on ARIN's not-for-profit status, and I believe it is not
> under strain.
>
> Lee

617 344 9000