[arin-discuss] ARIN Fee discussion

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Tue Oct 9 21:03:46 EDT 2007

> >Should it be a bell curve distribution?  Half-bell?  Linear?
> >In other words, if there are about 3000 members, should the
> >distribution be (for XXL/XL/L/M/S) 15/500/2000/500/15 or
> >15/100/250/600/2000 or 15/300/600/900/1200?
>
> The top tier currently spans a /14 all the way up to an /8 I
> would guess.  I don't know if ARIN has a max allocation limit
> but I'll assume it's an /8

There used to be a limit by policy, but it got removed through
the public policy process.  You get as much as you can justify.

But I understand your point: the tiering concept is fine as
far as it goes, but we need additional tiers, all the way up
to /1, for which the fee should be the GDP of China or the
Internet, whichever is greater.

> For example, top tier would be /8 only, next tier would be
> /9, next tier would be /10, next tier would be /11 and so on
> until you get to /14, then perhaps /15 and /16 in one tier,
> then /17, /18, /19, and so on.  I think you get the idea.

Generally.  You don't necessarily want a bell curve, but some
kind of curve with few orgs in the largest category, and many
orgs in the smallest.  Thanks for clarifying.

> For IPv6 it's a completely different issue because IPv6 is
> not a scarce resource - thus fee-based incentives to limit
> IPv6 uptake do not belong in the mix.  Tiered pricing does,
> though, for the reason I already cited.
>
> Ted
>
> PS:  The larger orgs are usually far less responsive to
> complaints than the smaller orgs which is another annoyance
> and puts even more burden on the rest of the Internet.

My experience has not been consistent.  Sometimes large orgs
do something, but their lawyers have told them not to tell
you what they're doing.   Sometimes small orgs don't know
what you're talking about when you complain, or are so
overworked they can't even read PPML, much less respond to
abuse complaints[1].  Just as often, it's as you say.

Lee

[1] All right, so maybe PPML's not everyone's first priority.
Even I have a day job.