[arin-discuss] ARIN Fee discussion

Kirk Ismay captain at netidea.com
Tue Oct 9 18:42:54 EDT 2007

> Owen,
>
> Well, lets also examine that based on fixed fee per resource consumed.
>
> A /13 contains 2048 /24s. Xtra Large fee is $18,000. So, $18000 / 2048 is
> $8.79 per /24. That is fair.
>
> >From ARIN reports, I totalled the /24s allocated to ISP from 1999 through
> 2006 plus 01/07 through 09/07. The total came to 1,148,855 /24s. That
> doesn't tell me how many were returned. I couldn't find those stats. But
> lets use that as an example. 1,148,855 /24s * $8.79 per /24 is $10,098,435.
> Gosh, that is fairly close to the ARIN budget. And of course, then no one
> would be able to say, "But they get them for free. How can I compete against
> that?"

I would support Michael's idea of paying per /24 at a fixed annual fee
for all sizes of organization. Would it help to call it a fee for rental
of the IPv4 addresses? This makes it clear that IP addresses are not
property and can't be owned by anyone.  The same per subnet structure
should be used for IPv6 as well, obviously, though we should keep the
current "pay the lesser of your IPv4 or IPv6 fees" waiver to encourage
IPv6 adoption.  It may also provide a financial incentive to conserve
address space.

If there is a significant cost to process an allocation request, then
perhaps there should be a flat rate for that as well, for each
application made.   This way the cost of processing the application is
separate from the IP allocation rental.

This would also make the fee schedule easier to understand and administer.

--

Sincerely,
Kirk Ismay

--