[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Oct 5 17:14:27 EDT 2007

At 4:27 PM -0400 10/5/07, Dean Anderson wrote:
>It seems a bit disingenuous to argue that ARIN needs to reduce
>costs by doing something to Legacy holders.

ARIN doesn't *need* to do anything with respect to changing
services or fees for legacy holders; it's a topic that comes up
from time to time and we try to make sure the discussion is
informed when it occurs.   Randy Bush rightfully pointed out
that when ARIN was founded, there was a clear expectation
that it would provide some form of maintenance services to
the legacy space holders.  My only reason for getting involved
is to point out that circumstances change, and the Internet
community can indeed revisit some of the assumptions of the
past, including what services and cost recovery are appropriate
for legacy holders.

As you've noted, ARIN has a very health reserve.  We've
lowered fees (and waived IPv6 fees altogether), but we are
still financially ahead.  I welcome any and all suggestions
at the members meeting regarding how best to proceed,
but would also note that we also need to plan how to
transition over the next decade to a scenario where there
may not be as frequent contact will the members due to
lack of new IPv4 requests, and yet the databases and
services will still need to be maintained.

>If it weren't for companies like OSF, Nearnet wouldn't have had a backup
>link to DEC for its flaky Microwave, and John Curran wouldn't be a
>'hero'.

No hero... just an elected Internet dude.  Positions open
up every year; feel free to join in at any time.

>However, the question that started this particular thread still hasn't
>been answered:  Has ARIN made a definitive statement on the legal rights
>of Legacys?  Sprunk says yes. I say no.  ARIN?

If the members direct ARIN to change the services or fees to
"legacy" address holders in the region, ARIN will endeavor to do.
As Randy points out, this could run against the expectations of
the Internet community at large from the time of ARIN's start,
so obviously any changes would need to be well thought out,
and need to have enjoyed ample public discussion.

/John