[arin-discuss] SPAM-WARN:Re: [ppml]Counsel statementon Legacy assignments?(fwd)

Barry Dykes bdykes at viawest.net
Fri Oct 5 16:15:52 EDT 2007

Oh, don't misunderstand me.  I'm impressed that you purchase your fuel directly from the refinery rather than having to deal with some type of scalable distribution model.  Of course if there were 10 lane highways to those refineries, I guess we could all purchase fuel directly near the source.  They would of course have to put in much smaller fill stations to deal with all of those minivans as well as more personnel to keep all that new machinery running.  However, that is not really a scalable model.
        So while you use gasoline like the rest of us - the volume of the transaction dictates the price and the location that you can access it.  I kind of assumed that Internet Protocol (IP) address were for - well; use on the Internet.  So having an Internet Service Provider able to allocate the smaller blocks would kind of be like expecting to stop at a service station rather than a refinery for fuel.  Oh - then they could aggregate the IP blocks so that every little incident that occurs is not propagated throughout everyone's backbone.  And that (aggregation) is good for everyone.

Thanks,

Barry Dykes
Vice President Engineering/Operations
ViaWest, Inc.