[arin-discuss] SPAM-WARN:Re: [ppml] Counsel statement onLegacyassignments?(fwd)

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Oct 5 12:08:27 EDT 2007

> Actually everyone _is not_ treated the same for either. The
> pricing structure for both IPV4 and IPV6 indicates that there
> are first class citizens, second class citizens, third class,
> etc. Otherwise, everone would pay exactly the same price per
> IP address.

Everyone does pay the same price, FREE!

My company pays an annual subscription fee to ARIN regardless of whether
we apply for additional addresses in that year or not. But when we do
apply for an allocation, we get it free, i.e. no charge. This is in
contrast to AS numbers for which we have to pay $500 for every one that
we get.

I'm surprised that ARIN member organizations, who elect the Board of
Trustees, are not more aware of the structure of ARIN fees. Check the
minutes of the second ARIN Members meeting for ARIN counsel's opinion
http://www.arin.net/meetings/minutes/ARIN_II/. When I asked IANA/ICANN
for an official statement on the issue, this is what they said:

   Although ICANN has not issued any formal policy
   statements, ICANN has consistently taken the
   position that IP addresses are not property.

--Michael Dillon