[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Sat Nov 10 14:54:46 EST 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> It is in ARIN's interest to help keep their own meeting costs
> affordable for all attenders.

I agree.  So ARIN management has to show that joint meetings reduce
ARIN's costs.  So far, ARIN's involvement with NANOG has increased those
ARIN's costs by $130,000+

> You are treading on very squishy ground here.  Granted, for ARIN to pay
> an EXCESSIVE amount of money to share meeting space with NANOG is
> as you say, probably not in ARIN's interest.

This isn't just about sharing meeting space. This is about paying for
ARIN employees and Board Members to attend Nanog meetings. This about
giving ARIN funds directly to NANOG, while the ARIN Board Members have
conflicts of interest.  That ground is not squishy at all. The ground is
getting hard and interesting for people who read draft charge books.

> But, who am I kidding.  Clearly you just don't want to have any
> benefits whatsoever go to NANOG even if doing this would be cutting
> off ARIN's nose to spite it's face - so let's just agree here that
> your not going to see reason on this issue no matter what.

Nonsense. I have no objection to ARIN sending an invited speaker to
NANOG meetings to inform Nanog members about what ARIN is doing. But
that's where ARIN's charter ends.  Sending $130,000 to NANOG isn't in
the charter. ARIN isn't chartered to do actual network operations, even
if NANOG were an honest organization where that was done.

		--Dean

617 344 9000