[arin-discuss] [info at arin.net: ACSP Suggestion 2007.15]

michael.c.loevner at verizon.com michael.c.loevner at verizon.com
Thu Jul 19 14:39:29 EDT 2007

Just wondering, what do we want CIDR queries to do?  Match the exact CIDR
block that we enter, or show all networks that are within the CIDR block?
Does ARIN need to look at adding a series of additional flags that can be
used along with CIDR queries to get the intended results?  We really need
a more specific solution then, "Hey, I like CIDR queries."  This route may
bring us the ability to enter CIDR queries, but we may not get the
increased functionality we are looking for.

For example, I personally would like to see the following (not picking on
AT&T, just an easy example to use):

1. Entering "12.0.0.0/8" returns only the record for that exact CIDR
block, if 12.0.0.0/9 were entered in this fashion, it would provide no
results.

2. Entering ">!12.0.0.0/8" returns all records for 12.0.0.0/8 and all
network within subdelegated from 12.0.0.0/8. This query returns far too
many records to be of much use (to me, and I think it crashed my browser)
and this can already be done with nethandles, but my next example
currently cannot.

3.  Entering ">!12.111.0.0/16" returns all networks falling within the
12.111.0.0/16 CIDR boundary.  Since 12.111.0.0/16 is not a currently
registered address block, this adds a new level of functionality that
would be appreciated, and provides me with a list of a couple hundred
records rather than the unmanageable number that comes up from querying
the whole block.

I'd like for members of the list not in the process of unsubscribing to
add to this so that we can get an idea of what we want from CIDR queries,
and the practical applications of having them.

-Mike