[arin-discuss] IPV6 RESTRICTIONS ON CLASSIFIED AND UNCLASSIFIED NETWORKS

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Wed Sep 13 13:51:55 EDT 2006

On 13-Sep-2006, at 13:07 , Dowell, Jerry wrote:

> i UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE POLICIES UNDERWAY TO PLACE RESTRICTIONS
> ON CLASSIFIED AND UNCLASSIFIED NETWORKS.
>
> PLEASE CLARIFY THIS THIS IS IN ERROR OR PROVIDE GUIDANCE ON HOW TO
> ABTAIN THE DOCUMENTATION RELATED TO CLASSIFIED AND UNCLASSIFIED
> NETWORKS.  I.E. DOD SECRET, TOP SECRET ETC.

ARIN doesn't have any policies that I'm aware of that reference
classified or unclassified networks.  I'm not sure what sort of
restrictions you're thinking of, so it's hard to guess at how to
answer your question.. but I'll take a stab at it.

If you're talking about restrictions on what data can be on
classified or unclassified networks, that's outside of ARIN's
responsibility.  Talk to your management at DHS.

Within ARIN's responsibility, only two possibilities come to mind.
Is it possible you've confused references to classful/classless
networking with classified/unclassified data?  The other possibility
that comes to mind is that you're interested in obtaining IP address
allocations privately (e.g. without it being apparent that DHS has
received the allocation).  Is it one of these things you're wondering
about?

Matt Pounsett

PS: You may consider turning off your caps-lock key.  All-caps words
and sentences are often read to be shouting.