[arin-discuss] that court case

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Dec 27 15:29:19 EST 2006

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, John Curran wrote:

> At 9:19 AM -0500 12/27/06, Edward Lewis wrote:
>> In the ARIN press release, it says that this is a "victory" for the
>> policy process.  The only document linked to from ARIN's media page
>> that has the work "policy" in it is
>> http://www.arin.net/media/clarification-granted.pdf - and I think
>> that that is a document from ARIN to the court, not the other way
>> around.
>
> That document is a court order from the presiding judge which affirms
> ARIN's role in administration of IP Resources, specifically:
>
> "IP resources are allocated by ARIN pursuant to the terms of a services
> agreement, which obligates registrants to comply with ARIN's Internet
> Protocol address space allocation and assignment guidelines."

If I'm reading it correctly, that's not the reason the lawsuit has
been dismissed. The reason is that judge found that statue of
limitations (on "Sherman's act") has expired. See:
  http://www.arin.net/media/dismissal-granted.pdf
I maybe wrong but it appears to me the real issues and legal questions
raised in this case are not answered, ARIN just got lucky.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net