consistancy

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Sun Sep 17 11:30:51 EDT 2000

Mike Horwath wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 02:59:59PM -0600, Alec H. Peterson wrote:
> > Mike Horwath wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't think anyone is arguing about not trying to be more efficient
> > > at all and that these are completely exclusive of each other and can
> > > be done in parallel.
> >
> > However people do seem to be using the fact that ARIN is not
> > revoking allocations made before its time to various institutions as
> > a reason for repealing the virtual hosting policy.
>
> Who has done so?
>
> I'll spank'em.
>
> I do cry 'unfair', though.
>
> > Personally I think there are plenty of other objections about the
> > virtual hosting policy, which is why I am confused as to why so many
> > people are insisting ARIN do something it has no authority to do.
>
> Oh, but it does have some authority, this is a large difference of
> opinion we seem to be having.

Oh certainly, it does have some authority.  It has authority over CURRENT
allocation policy in its region of the world.

One of the things the AC (and thus the membership later on) will be
discussing is how ARIN can reclaim allocations that it has made in the
past.  That's a good first step towards reclamation of other allocations in
the future (once some sort of standard has been established).  We can't
promise anything, but please know ARIN is concerned about it and is trying
to help.

Alec

Alec H. Peterson - ahp at hilander.com
Staff Scientist
CenterGate Research Group - http://www.centergate.com
"Technology so advanced, even _we_ don't understand it!"