guideline for name-based web hosting justification

Jeremy Porter jerry at fc.net
Tue Sep 12 14:47:45 EDT 2000

In message <Pine.BSI.4.21.0009121112320.26810-100000 at dew.goldengate.net>, Mury
writes:

>On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Jeremy Porter wrote:
>> I don't think Alec has called anyone whiners.
>
>Jeremy,
>
>"Whining" was not my word.  Please read his response to me more
>carefully, and I'll quote it here, so you don't have to scroll down:

You can believe what you want, but I'm going to drop this.

>> The policy has been
>> discussed and as presented does not change the business climate for
>> for existing users of addresses.  For new assignments I quote:
>> http://www.arin.net/announcements/policy_changes.html
>> 	Exceptions may be made for ISPs that provide justification for
>> 	requiring static addresses. ARIN will determine, on a case-by-case
>> 	basis, whether an exception is appropriate.
>>
>> If you are sure that your use of one IP per Host is justifiable, then
>> you should have no problem getting an exception approved.
>> Perhaps if you are complaining maybe you don't feel that your
>> use has technical merit?
>
>Here we go with just calling me a complainer again. Dear sir, do you know
>what an awful process it is to get more space from ARIN.  I beleive the
>point is an exception should be a policy if in general you would have to
>grant more exceptions than not.  If the hosting world is not quite ready
>for name based hosting why make most people fight to get exceptions?
>Shouldn't it be a policy?

Ok, let me try again, If you are sure that your use of one IP per Host is
justifiable, then you should have no problem getting an exception approved.
If you do not feel that your use has technical merit, then your
complaint with the policy, is that it is "inconvenient".  If in
fact "most" hosting services need exceptions, then a policy change
would probably be in order.  Nothing in the existing policy indicates
that it will be difficult to get exceptions.  This is your suggestion
that it will be hard, without even testing the waters.

Neither Alec nor I have said that policy change should be
considered, and I am specificly asking you for suggestions.

>And don't get me wrong again, I can here it coming.  I am concerned about
>wasted IP space.  I'm not advocating wasting IP space just because it's an
>easier thing to do than conserve it.

Ok lets come up with some suggested wording.

>> With that said, theses issues were discussed at the ARIN policy meeting,
>> and there weren't huge objections, so the conclusion was reached that
>> there were significant objectors.  Luckily there is a meeting in
>> just a few weeks, where you are invited to discuss it more, and
>> perhaps better wording can be determined that would allow existing
>> operations to switch to more efficient technologies in a reasonable
>> time frame, while still encouraging better utilization of
>> IP addressing.
>
>Where is the meeting?  Who shows up?  Isn't emailing the group just as
>an acceptable way of communicating, or do I need to show up and be called
>a whiner in person?

The ARIN meetings are listed on the WWW site, in fairly large letters
even.  Emailing is fine, but if this is important to you, you will
probably find that if you show up in person, it is quicker and
easier to explain your point of view, and it is much less of a problem
to reach consensus on issues.  Posting to the list back in march
would have been better, as your input would have been heard before
the agenda items was reached.  Now I don't even remember exactly when all
the lists got setup and finalized, so if you didn't have the information
that it was going to be discussed at the meeting, well obviously
we can't fix that now.  However since there is a meeting coming
up and obviously interest, I'm sure that this will be covered.

Policy making requires some level of meetings, as at least,
for IP addressing, mailing list discussions are not sufficient.

>> I'm sure if several vocal www hosting business pushed for changed wording
>> that still encouraged better utilization, that it would be considered.
>> >From my recollection of the last ARIN meeting there was a significant
>> lack of input from WWW hosting companies, as there were only a handful
>> present.
>>
>> "Whining" (your words)
>
>Not my words.  And I'm sick of being called a whiner.
Here you ignore my point,  you have the chance to help fix what
you perceive as a problem.  Wouldn't it make sense to do so.
The ARIN AC is listening to your suggestions.

--- jerry at fc.net

512-519-6193 www.wayport.net
8303 Mopac Expressway Suite A300, Austin Tx.