guideline for name-based web hosting justification

PSchroebel paschroebel at erols.com
Tue Sep 12 12:25:25 EDT 2000

The key to Name based web hosting is using the nameservers
that reside on that host.
Whereas, a host is actually a machine not a www, ftp or pop
or smtp sub-server.
Therein, you are only limited to the number of virtual hosts
by the host (machine's) ability.
Apache uses 500 as a limit however we have over 1000 on one
Linux box that has 4 cpu's
and gig of ram.

This is addressed in BIND VERSION 8.0 and it works.

The inherent name servers do the parsing and it works just
fine.
In fact the newer rack mount web servers come ready for
v-hosting.
You only need to assign an IP when the customer needs a SSL
or some other IP related
point to point connection. Which usually invokes co-location
and is another matter all together.

The IIS with NT is a IP Hog and we have had disastrous
problems with v-hosting on NT Servers.
We push clients to Unix, Sun and Linux that support
Microsoft's extensions.
We have had problems with Cold Fusion's database and apps
but, we are working on it.

Of course there will always be an issue that a www site
should have it own IP as this is what the customers expect.
This will be the real challenge to over come.

And here is their reason:
If the dns fails then how do they get their site? On a
v-host named based-you wont get their.
If they have an IP mapped they will get to their site
provide that the host has not failed.
Another, issue that we see is the webhost customers with
alarms on their sites.
So let those Nameservers blink for an update and the phone
ring off of the hook.

Slave to the Machines.......

Sincerely,

Peter Schroebel