route filtering policies (from "split b" thread)

Mike Lieberman Mike at netwright.net
Mon Jun 5 23:01:53 EDT 2000

> Mike,
>
> Thanks for your response.  Note that it isn't necessarily true
> that I have to have full internet routes on my router at home
> in order to inject a /24 via BGP to two upstream providers.

Yes I'm aware of this, but it is possible to limit this discussion to those
networks that DO have that need. Others can limp along as they do now.

> Note also that ARIN cannot guarantee that any block assigned
> is filtered or not filtered.  ISPs set their own policies.
> Those policies have up to this point been modified as ARIN
> and other registries have changed their allocation policies
> but there is no guarantee that that will continue to be the
> case.  There was a point in my not so distant past, where
> the filtering policies of one very large ISP were not consistent
> with ARIN policies and it made my address space unusable (and
> we had much more than a /21)

I understand this as well. The policies of various RRs can make for a
frustrating time. Still most of that can be worked through.

> How many requests would be generated if, say, we say any
> organization that meets your requirements below gets a /24?

I think you already have them, they just have /21's right now :-) Further if
you did a buy back program for those who have swamp addresses and could
aggregate with new addresses and use the money you get from the sale of the
/24's to support that, you might actually get more /24's back than you have
to sell.

> I suspect that you will get many many more than a "few".  I
> could be wrong, but the issue for ARIN and the other registries
> is that the take rate for some of these things is not determinable.
> Further once the policy is changed, it is almost impossible to
> change it back.

So, do the buy back first and limit the new /24's to the number of /24's you
recoup. Then there's no harm done.

> On average how many connections do you think that these folks
> would have?  (paths matter)

Well that gets hard to figure. Our customer is looking at going from two to
three or four. We just about signed a contract with another company earlier
this year that would have had three paths.

> Thanks,
> ---CJ
>
> Ps. and yes I might be interested in one of those /24s for my
> house.

Yeh, well would you accept the proposition that we are not the normal net
user?
I had two T1s to my house when your local community college had a 56K lease
line.