route filtering policies (from "split b" thread)

Mike Lieberman Mike at netwright.net
Mon Jun 5 20:37:21 EDT 2000

In the cases we deal with it's an essential requirement for these companies.

Lines in our neck of the world are unreliable and unless the customer
falsifies a need for more IP we need to find a way to make this work. I am
not saying that we shouldn't aggregate whenever possible. To suggest that
/24 need to be routed, doesn't equate to we should route everything as a
/24. To make such an argument doesn't serve the purpose of discussion.

>Announcing the entire internet as /24's just isn't scaleable

There are legitimate needs to be able to fully route a /24 on occasion and
to say, well that's just the say it is, makes companies lie so that they can
get the /20 that will route.

These are not necessarily small companies by annual revenues. They just
don't have a need for more than a /24. The policies of the large vendors who
insist on filtering, do more to serve the business objectives of those
vendors, than they do to protect the scalability of the Internet.

/* Mike Lieberman                            Mike at NetWright.Net */
/*                         President                            */
/*                       Net Wright LLC                         */
/*                   http://www.netwright.net                   */
/*                 Voice and Fax: 307-857-1053                  */