route filtering policies (from "split b" thread)

Pete Bowden repete at cncx.com
Mon Jun 5 18:29:18 EDT 2000

Not speaking on behalf of my company or any policies which may or may not
exist  :-)  -- just to give a background on how some companies view
traffic and why some providers choose to filter at the largest block size.

This gets into the argument of peer vs. provider.  Most peering relationships
between larger ISP's require that each peer in the relationship advertise the
SAME announcement everywhere where they peer.  Additionally, peering
relationships usually have requirements for a minimum number of locations
at the public exchanges, or alternatively direct connections between the
providers.  "Peers" are also at times (by some providers) expected to have
a sizeable number of announcements (comparable to between the 'peers').
There may be policies which restrict who some providers might concider to
be peers based on the similar traffic volumes, similar number of prefixes,
and the difference between the traffic flow in each direction.  If you
don't have a backbone sufficient to carry your own traffic and only announce
regionally then some larger providers will concider that not to be a peer
relationship--"why should I have to pay to carry your traffic on my backbone
or purchased transit pipes" is what one might hear.

Larger providers, especially, have different policies for customers than
they do with peers, and pay close attention to their definition of peer.
The logic is that people should always be announcing/anchoring their LARGE
agregate block somewhere in case the more specifics are not accepted -- this
allows them to not have to carry what they concider to be your traffic
across their backbone -- even though it may be their customers which are
trying to reach your server.  If you don't announce your large agregates
then you are risking the connectivity of parts of your network from others
in the global internet.

--
Pete Bowden, Internet Network Engineer, Internet & Data Center Engineering
    rePete at concentric.com  rePete at cncx.com  pete at internex.net  NIC:PB8