[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Expanding 2FA Options for ARIN Online

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jan 24 21:40:54 EST 2023

On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 19:16 Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:

> David Farmer mentioned "technology restrictions or embargos on the more
> secure FIDO or TOTP technologies". Is that actually a thing? I don't
> think that should be a consideration if it's only hypothetical.

I don’t know that FIDO or TOTP are controlled technologies, but DUO a
similar authentication technology is, see the following;

https://help.duo.com/s/article/7544?language=en_US

Furthermore, I don’t believe, ARIN can do business with entities from these
countries anyway, so from a practical perspective it could be a non-issue.
But these kinds of issues are more than just hypothetical, whether or not
they apply to the FIDO or TOTP technologies today, they could at some
future date. And I have no idea if some more totalitarian regimes even
allow the use of FIDO or TOTP technologies, it wouldn’t be surprising if
they didn’t.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952