[ARIN-consult] [ARIN-Consult] Consultation on Expanding 2FA Options for ARIN Online

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Tue Jan 24 19:27:52 EST 2023

I’ve recently (within the last year) had to deal with insurance companies changing the ground rules for an entire industry that I service.  You’re partially but not entirely correct, vis-à-vis the scenario I had here: having SOME additional security beyond userid and password is now required, but it doesn’t have to be what we’re calling 2FA in this discussion.  (We should be referring to “MFA” instead, but that battle is long-since lost.)  Here the question is enforcing MFA on logins to ARIN.  This is not a “typical corporate system” and lateral movement within the network is irrelevant.  There’s also little to no confidential information behind ARIN credentials.  Some of the data must be protected against unwanted alteration or deletion.

Specific technologies should not be the requirement – that’s how you get the US Congress passing laws mandating AES-128 encryption exclusively!
The requirement should be phrased as something like “User account IDs and passwords must not be, by themselves, sufficient to establish a newly-authenticated access to ARIN systems from an unknown public IP address.”  One obvious solution is “2FA” using SMS/email/TOTP/FIDO, but there other options exist.

The added factor does not need, necessarily, to be a device from which you can read a code.  I loathe systems that give you a printed grid with keywords where you locate and enter a word from the reference card, but that’s a non-device-based system that never runs out of battery or signal and satisfies any MFA requirement about as well as TOTP.  It’s more secure than SMS or email, doesn’t require anyone to master Yet Another Technology, but is very rarely deployed.

I use the Microsoft Authenticator to address my issues in the way you describe, as it’s easy to install on a backup phone.  The backup phone no longer powers on.  So I also have a Yubikey locked away in the office where it *hopefully* can’t bit-rot, but I need to physically be in the office to reset/fix anything.  I also have LastPass available to me for this purpose.  The UIs are embarrassingly bad if you have more than one or two things tied to them, and fall squarely into the “my grandmother would not be able to deal with this” category.

I strongly disagree with the idea that every ARIN account-holder is, or should be, a technologist, never mind that they should be at the forefront of security technology.  I get paid to stay moderately current on how to build networks using basic tools – spending time learning how to use TOTP is, very literally, something that will get me called on the carpet – that sort of thing has already happened to me within the last year!  (Yes, I work for government… hopefully private industry isn’t quite as inflexible.)  If you want ARIN to drag all its customers along on a security journey, we need MASSIVELY better documentation covering MULTIPLE common systems/tools.

I can find several examples local to me where the receptionist is now the ARIN contact person.  I know several where a line-of-business administrator is the ARIN contact.  I know of multiple ARIN resource holders who do not employ anyone technical (in the IT sense).  Yes, those orgs rely on consultants, but now we’re effectively making business decisions for them, and I do not support that either.

At this point, I feel like I’m shouting into the wind (or maybe I’m the old man shouting at clouds…) – as if everyone else has drunk the 2FA Kool-Aid™ and can’t see anything wrong with it.  There are things wrong with computers and networks, why can’t there be something wrong with MFA, too?  I’m perfectly OK with enabling SMS and Email for MFA because it’s better than what we have now.  No, it’s not perfect.  But if you’re arguing that SMS and Email are “too insecure”, you’ve clearly never heard the saying “the perfect is the enemy of the good”.  BABY STEPS.  Get SMS and Email 2FA today, for the luddites or laggards in the crowd, and deprecate them about 2 years from now.

Otherwise, give me decent documentation that shows me, screen by screen, step by step, how to enable TOTP with LastPass, and MS Authenticator, and whatever Google’s thing is called, and some other free product; then ALSO let me register a decent number of TOTP systems (yes, I admit 10 should be more than adequate for any realistic scenario I can imagine) and we’re probably good.  But the documentation is sorely lacking today.  And you’re expecting people who don’t know what TOTP even is to be on-board with this?  Nope.

-Adam