[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Implementing Single Transferrable Voting for ARIN Elections

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jan 7 15:23:45 EST 2022

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 12:18 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> 1.  Any Trustee elected via plurality who would not have been elected under STV risks a potential stigma (“you weren’t who the community really wanted”)
> 2.  Perhaps more importantly, it would be challenging to make use of the data produced in public discussion of the merits of each system without inherently weighing in on the relative merits of the candidates involved - i.e. public discussion of  “Would STV have resulted in a better outcome in year nnnn than the plurality winner?” would be rather uncivil process to put a recently elected Trustee through...

Hi John,

Those are good points. I think they could largely be resolved by
withholding the data and calculations (including withholding it from
the board) until it's time to return to consultation. There's still
some potential for acrimony but it wouldn't appear until the trustees
are well established in their roles.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--