[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Implementing Single Transferrable Voting for ARIN Elections

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jan 7 14:39:16 EST 2022

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 11:31 AM Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 6:33 PM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> > As an engineer, I earn a living making systems resistant to Murphy's
> > Law. When I see a voting system like STV which allows for the election
> > of the candidate most opposed by a clear majority of voters, alarm
> > bells ring. It's an obviously incorrect outcome that shouldn't be
> > possible.
>
> RVC, in at least some variants, does not require
> one to assign a rank to all candidates (only allows
> it), so that candidates that are not desirable and
> have few trailing votes may not be able to cross any
> threshold.

Hi Gary,

In the example I composed
(https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-consult/2022-January/001507.html)
it made no difference to the final tally whether the 65.5% of voters
opposed to candidate 4 ranked him last or left him unranked. Candidate
4 was elected regardless.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--