[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Implementing Single Transferrable Voting for ARIN Elections

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Feb 10 15:59:33 EST 2022

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 8:38 AM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> One recommendation that has arisen from this governance review is to replace the current first-past-the-post (FPTP) voting system with single transferrable voting (STV), also known as ranked-choice voting. STV would provide the ability for the community to realize the following primary benefits:

Hello,

Since the consultation is coming to a close, I want to take a moment
to reiterate:

I respectfully OPPOSE a transition to STV voting due to the
demonstrated mathematical flaws in the process.

STV as proposed in the consultation can lead to unexpected and
undesirable results including:
* defeat of the plurality candidate who got the most votes
* election of a candidate opposed by a clear majority of voters

It can reach these undesired results because the math involved in the
instant-runoff process amplifies the impact of some votes while
effectively nullifying others. I went through the math back in my
early January posts if you want to see how that happens.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin