[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] ACSP Consultation 2021.5: Consultation on ARIN’s Membership Structure

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Oct 30 19:00:39 EDT 2021

On 30 Oct 2021, at 5:22 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com<mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:.

While I admit my perspective may be jaded by the fact that I oppose the entire concept of service members,
if you must disenfranchise voters at the ballot box, I don’t think that disenfranchisement needs to preclude
them from the nominating or petition process.

Presently it is only general members that are allowed to make nominations or support petitions - we have bylaw language that makes it so, and those who want to participate in ARIN governance should avail themselves of the ability to become general members – doubly so if they believe that may wish to make a nomination or participate in a petition.

Personally, I still think that the petition threshold is higher than it should be. Frankly, I’d be fine with a flat 30 signatories
from 30 different individuals representing 30 separate member organizations as a valid petition threshold.

We cannot penalize organizations that happen to have the same individual as voting contact (by not allowing their ballot to be counted as support of a petitioner), so it would be more useful to understand the lowest reasonable petition threshold under such circumstances – do you feel that the value 100 as specified in the proposed bylaw change is too high?

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO