Re: [ARIN-consult] Reminder - Consultation on ARIN’s Membership Structure

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Nov 8 13:05:50 EST 2021

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 11:36 AM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2021, at 12:02 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Why are these other forms of participation excluded in favor of only
> voting as a means to demonstrate an organization's participation in ARIN's
> governance to maintain general membership status?
>
> David -
>
> It’s quite possible to consider some of these other forms of participation
> as possible indications of an organizational decision to participate in
> ARIN governance, but that will need some careful study since some of these
> (e.g  nomination, committee participation, mailing list participation) are
> actually undertaken by individuals and don’t necessarily represent as clear
> organizational decision.
>

>From this year's call for noncom volunteers, dated May 4th, 2021,
"volunteers must be from an ARIN Member organization in Good Standing." And
my recollection is, that most other calls for other committee volunteers
over the years have included similar language. I explicitly did not include
mailing list participation, because determining the member organization
relationship for each email would indeed be burdensome both for ARIN and
the participants. Further, it could potentially obstruct or limit
participation in the mailing lists, which would not be a good outcome.
Nevertheless, I would like to see governance participation beyond simply
voting to be considered.

Thanks.

As usual, we’re open to refinements but felt it important to have the

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952