[ARIN-consult] Reminder - Consultation on ARIN’s Membership Structure

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Mon Nov 8 10:06:59 EST 2021

Matt Harris|Infrastructure Lead
816-256-5446|Direct
Looking for help?
Helpdesk|Email Support
We build customized end-to-end technology solutions powered by NetFire Cloud.
On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 5:33 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> Alan -
>
> Pretty much correct - if you are a general member and did not vote in any
> of the past three elections, you will become a service member for the
> coming year.   We intend to conduct that review annually after each
> election starting after the ARIN 2023 election.
>
> FYI,
> /John
>
> John Curran
> President and CEO
> American Registry for Internet Numbers

Hey John,
What's the problem that this change seeks to solve, specifically? If a
member only chooses to vote in every 4, or 5 elections, shouldn't that be
the prerogative of said member and not subject them to sanctions such as
being bumped down a category and losing the right to vote which is
generally afforded to all dues-paying members?

Open questions to others to help me see the light on why this would be
proposed...
Are there any other non-profit entities in the technology space that do
this or something similar to this which and what have their experiences
been? What benefits have they reaped from it?

How would the optics for something like this be anything but negative given
that it would almost certainly open ARIN up to criticism for being less
democratically-governed?

Thanks,
Matt