[ARIN-consult] What do the ASN fees go to?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon May 10 14:39:06 EDT 2021

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 9:47 AM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> As noted earlier, ARIN provides many operational services for all of the resources in the registry – and these services are provided even for number resources that have no requests pending or when there are requests pending to change information but that lack proper documentation.

Hi John,

Even if you include the policy process with the list and meetings (in
addition to the registry itself) in the "services" provided to an AS
number registrant, it seems to me that less than 10% of the end-user
AS number fees are spent on services with the rest spent on ARIN
overhead. If you disagree, I'd love to see a breakout of the
accounting as you figure it.

Perhaps there should be a cap on the portion of any fee which can be
applied to ARIN overhead costs? At the least, that might encourage
ARIN to keep overhead costs from rising out of proportion with the
direct services to individual registrants.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin