[ARIN-consult] Consultation Now Open on the Future of ARIN’s IRR

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Mar 1 10:00:46 EST 2021

On 12 Feb 2021, at 2:54 PM, Rob Seastrom <rs at seastrom.com<mailto:rs at seastrom.com>> wrote:

I urge that Job's thoughts for orderly burndown be given heavy consideration.  Upon further discussion with Job I have the following points to make:

* Of the total of 62,352 entries in ARIN-NONAUTH about 10k of those routes show up in the DFZ and about 1,933 are rpki invalid.
RIPE has had over a year of operational experience with RIPE-731 deployed to remove RPKI-invalid routes from their non-auth (since January 2020) and nothing has blown up...  so maybe we can start by doing the same thing.  If you haven't read RIPE-731, please do - it's short and to the point.  https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-731

RS -

Presuming RIPE-731 deployment and per your data above, we would presumably see removal of approximately two thousand of the 10K routes in the DFZ which correspond to ARIN-NONAUTH objects - is that correct?  If that’s the case, once the conflicting ARIN-NONAUTH objects were deleted, how does that affect the necessary wait time for a full shutdown of ARIN-NONAUTH?

You suggested that if ARIN does an aggressive outreach campaign and then waited a full year to “pull the plug” that might be reasonable - my question is whether your suggestion for a one wait period changes to a date substantially sooner if RIPE-731 style IRR object grooming is also utilized?

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO