[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN Fees

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jul 22 02:21:36 EDT 2021

On 22 Jul 2021, at 1:10 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com<mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:

ARIN would welcome clarity here as well, both for the organization and our members sake, but alas, we cannot create a strawman dispute - it requires an actual party to pursue their creative theories to conclusion in litigation.

Revoke a /8 without an LRSA for non-payment and see what happens. I’m pretty sure you will get the dispute you claim to seek and I’m pretty sure that the registrant will likely pursue their claims to its litigious conclusion absent some form of significant compromise from ARIN.

Revocation for non-payment would first require establishing a requirement for payment for registry services by non-contracted legacy holders – a requirement that does not presently exist.

At some point we may see litigation over whether ARIN has a requirement to provide services without fee or contract to such parties (or for that matter, whether such parties with “IP address blocks” have some magical right to update corresponding portions of ARIN’s registry database despite lack of contract), but that hasn’t happened yet in more than two decades of registry administration by ARIN.  There is no need for true believers to wait to test such assertions, but I concur that it’s far more likely to occur at some point in the future when there are substantial resources involved.

Will we ever see such a dispute? It certainly is possible, but if we do it will be the result of uniform application of a change applied across the entire registry rather than an act designed to foment dispute – your assertions aside, we strive to operate ARIN in a highly consistent manner as befitting a key element of Internet infrastructure.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO