[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN Fees

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jul 21 17:42:17 EDT 2021

On 21 Jul 2021, at 5:32 PM, Adam Thompson <athompso at athompso.net> wrote:

> On 2021-07-21 16:15, William Herrin wrote:
>> Unless you're planning to change ARIN's quarter-century practice of
>> risk aversion toward letting cases proceed to the point where a court
>> sets a precedent about the shape of the pre-ARIN registrants' rights?
>> I know Owen remembers how far ARIN bent in Microsoft/Nortel to reach
>> an agreement, any agreement, rather than let the court set precedent
>> with respect to what it could do with Nortel's legacy registration.
>
> I would like to point out that in this regard, I do not believe ARIN is accurately representing its members' interests.  Perhaps the megacorps that dominate this industry like every other do enjoy the current status, but I know both I, and many other smaller registrants I've spoken over the years, would much prefer that jurisprudence exists, even if it's unfavourable.

Adam -

	ARIN would welcome clarity here as well, both for the organization and our members sake, but alas, we cannot create a strawman dispute - it requires an actual party to pursue their creative theories to conclusion in litigation.

	The suggestion that ARIN doesn’t seek legal certainty in these matters is quite absurd, as many aspects of operation would become simpler (and regardless of the specific outcome.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO