Consultation Now Open on the Future of ARIN’s IRR

Job Snijders job at fastly.com
Mon Feb 8 11:34:32 EST 2021

Dear ARIN, global community,

I object to the proposal to discontinue RIPE-NONAUTH. I propose an
alternative course of action.

The function of the ARIN-NONAUTH primarily appears to to serve holders
of Internet Number Resources which pre-date ARIN (so-called 'legacy
holders'). Expectations have been set by ARIN through the concept of
'grandparenting' that for example Reverse DNS works in some capacity,
and a degree of IRR service.

The ARIN-NONAUTH registry since the ARIN/ARIN-NONAUT split is fairly
harmless (either for users with a presence expressed in the registry, or
for consumers of the ARIN-NONAUTH data), and clearly benefits a
(perhaps somewhwat under-represented) group of stakeholders.

My proposal is that ARIN works to apply the 'RIPE-731' cleanup mechanism
to ARIN-NONAUTH. This can be accomplished by enabling the 'RPKI aware
mode' in IRRd v4: https://irrd.readthedocs.io/en/stable/admins/rpki/#enabling-rpki-aware-mode
Enabling the feature should be fairly straightforward for ARIN (as in,
minimal cost and minimal burden, existing open source software can be
used).

The big advantage of RIPE-731 style IRR object filtering is that any RSA
/ LRSA / global RPKI-capable holders of INRs can ensure the ARIN-NONAUTH
database does not contain conflicting information (simply by publishing
RPKI ROAs, allowing a graceful path towards obsolence (aka let the thing
die out on its own over time)

My fear is that discontinuation of the ARIN-NONAUTH service at this
point in time (or in September 2021) will have adverse negative effects
on the global routing system, which are easily avoided by taking a few
intermediate steps (such as RPKI-aware mode on the ARIN-NONAUTH DB).

Many considerations that applied to the RIPE / RIPE-NONAUTH split and
subsequent continuation of RIPE-NONAUTH also apply to ARIN-NONAUTH. It
is not the right time yet.

If ARIN for one reason or another cannot become a RPKI Relying Party of
the other Trust Anchors (AFRINIC, APNIC, LACNIC, and RIPE NCC), I
propose the service is just left 'as-is', and we revisit this topic in
June 2022.

Kind regards,

Job Snijders