[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN Fees

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Apr 26 15:02:20 EDT 2021

On 4/26/21 1:21 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> And it continues to go up until eventually reaching a total of $4,250 
> vs. a single RSA total of MAX(IPv6,IPv4) of $4,000.

At the breakeven point, the organization could combine under a single 
RSA to avoid paying more.

If they do not, then that's either because:

A) they are not aware they can, or

B) they are making a rational choice, e.g. that LRSA fee protections 
against potential future increases have some current value that, in 
their view, exceeds the cost delta.

If scenario A is a concern, then I support ARIN notifying organizations 
in that situation.

> So ARIN is inflicting a financial penalty on the RSA side against 
> those holding on to their LRSA fee protections.

Alternatively: ARIN is honoring the different contractual terms. 
Sometimes (right now) that is a benefit and sometimes (later) that is a 
cost. Anyone unhappy with that difference is still permitted to move to 
the RSA scenario (albeit irreversibly) so they have the option of 
keeping all the benefits now then moving to a single RSA to avoid the 
costs later. That's a great deal!

 From the perspective of someone without an LRSA, this is already 
inequitable. Two resource holders with e.g. a v4 /22 and a v6 /48 should 
be treated the same, not differently based on what year that /22 was issued.

> This should stop.

Why should LRSA holders receive an additional benefit (fee increase 
protections) over RSA holders not just now, but even after price 
harmonization occurs for them, at no cost?


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-consult/attachments/20210426/24bd72da/attachment.htm>

More information about the ARIN-consult mailing list