[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN Fees

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 22 01:38:51 EDT 2021

> On Apr 20, 2021, at 08:02 , John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
> On 20 Apr 2021, at 2:54 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> So consider that same strain absolutely applies to every LRSA holder
>> that also holds RSA resources due to the double-billing issue described
>> above.
>
> Owen -
>
> ARIN doesn’t “double bill” for registration services – organizations have a choice of consolidating their resources under single RSA or not doing so.  The annual fee for an organization is set by the total resources under agreement. Each number resource block is under a single RSA and thus are billed _once_ for its associated registration services.

When I signed the RSA and LRSA, I had one ORG called DELONG and one bill.

When ARIN moved from end-user fee-per-org to end-user fee-per-resource entry billing, I was converted from
one org to two orgs and suddenly started getting two bills.

As far as I’m concerned, I have a single organization that has resources under two RSAs. ARIN changed that
without my consent and without offering me any sort of opt-out of the adverse results of their changing the
conditions under which I agreed to the LRSA.

If I knew then what I know now, I would never have signed the LRSA.

> For RSA plans that consist entirely of legacy number resources (i.e. blocks issued by ARIN’s predecessor registry entities and now held by the original registrant or their legal successor), then there is a cap on the total annual maintenance fees.  There is a benefit to consolidation, but indeed the legacy registration fee cap is not applicable to registration service plans include non-legacy resources.  The choice to consolidate under a single RSA or not remains with the customer, and may not be optimum in all cases.

Right, so this is a fancy way of saying if you don’t want to consolidate, we’re going to bill you twice for what used to be billed as a single organization.

Owen