[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Consultation on ARIN Fees

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 15 04:40:31 EDT 2021

> On Apr 14, 2021, at 13:06 , John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
> On 14 Apr 2021, at 1:01 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:

>>> Owen -
>>>
>>> ARIN frequently engages in community consultation before making significant changes to fees or services – such consultations are announced on the arin-announce mailing list and conducted on this list (arin-consult).  These consultations are open to anyone in the community that wish to participate, but it does require organizations that wish to be part make a modicum of effort to read the ARIN announcements of consultations and participate in those consultations that are of interest to them.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> /John
>>
>> I think the likely radical impact of this particular attack^wchange on particular organizations is worthy of a special level of notice to those organizations likely to be most impacted.
>
> Indeed - as noted earlier, a special level of notice is warranted and we will be doing specific outreach to organizations that are significantly impacted – but this cannot be done speculatively and will occur once the fee schedule has been determined.  Organizations that wish to have an impact on ARIN’s services and fees bear the onus of reading the announcements that we already send and getting involved to the extent desired.

We can agree to disagree… I don’t see why it is impossible to send organizations that are facing an increase of more than $10,000 if the current plan is adopted a notice that says “We are considering doing this to you… If you wish to discuss the matter before it is fait accompli, here is how you can participate in the discussion.”

I admit that it is tantamount to soliciting dissent, but if I were such an organization, and I got notified after it was fait accompli, I might very well involve a different form of solicitor in the process.

Owen