[ARIN-consult] ACSP Consultation: ARIN Internet Routing Registry (IRR) Roadmap

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Wed Jan 17 14:37:09 EST 2018

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 01:21:16PM -0500, Jason Schiller wrote:
> Sounds to me like David and I are in agreement, WRT a close coupling
> between ARIN WHOIS and ARIN IRR, and the autnum and related objects
> need some real discussion here.
>
> Before plunging into that I think it is worth while and solicit what
> other's opinions are WRT a tight coupling between  the ARIN IRR and
> ARIN WHOIS at least for ARIN direct allocations, ARIN direct
> assignments, ARIN issued ASNs.

Yes, agreed, that is a critical requirement to ensure that new IRR work
can assert a degree of authority, so people can trust the data. The
current ARIN IRR did not meet my expectations in that regard.

A note on non-ARIN resources in the new ARIN IRR framework, I can share
experience from the RIPE and APNIC region in that regard.

In the RIPE region non-RIPE objects were also allowed in the RIPE IRR.
This has led to much abuse and lack of clarity on the authoritative
status of objects. The RIPE Database WG has spend years trying to come
to a consensus on how to fix this. If I had been there at the time when
RIPE IRR originally started, I would've made sure that non-RIPE could
not exist in the RIPE IRR, it would've saved us tons of trouble. APNIC
got it right from day #1. In APNIC IRR only APNIC-managed space can
exist. Both RIRs have made provisions to accomodate resources that are
transferring in or out.

Kind regards,

Job