[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN IRR Roadmap

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Feb 23 13:27:24 EST 2018

On 23 Feb 2018, at 1:09 PM, Jay Borkenhagen <jayb at braeburn.org> wrote:

> David Farmer writes:
>> On Tuesday at NANOG there was a presentation on ARIN's IRR Roadmap.
>>
>> https://youtu.be/tsWq_LgNS5s
>>

> Thanks for posting that link, David.
>
> I have a couple questions for John and/or others from ARIN:
>
> At around 16:30 in the youtube video, John made a statement along the
> lines that information published in the rpki would "pre-empt
> everything".  Those words could be interpreted in some very different
> ways, so I'd like John/ARIN to clarify what he meant.
>
> For example, John may have meant that the ARIN Online registry + RPKI
> + IRR system of the future system would enforce a rule whereby the
> presence of ROAs placing the origin of a block of IPs in one or more
> ASNs would make it impossible to register any route objects that
> contradict the ROAs.  If so, I think that would be great.

That was not the intent of my statement, but that can certainly be done if the community wishes that level of integration.

> On the other hand, some might interpret John to mean that by
> publishing ROAs a resource holder could magically inform the world
> that the IRR route objects for that space are no longer authoritative
> causing them to no longer be used.  That's clearly not the case.

What I intended by the remark is simply that parties which rely upon RPKI will often more heavily weight local-preference based on the RPKI validation result.  This is not assured but is indeed probable.

> Also, at about 19:25, John mentioned that ARIN is enhancing its rpki
> tools.  Where can a description of those enhancements be found?

We are continuing to enhance our RPKI tools, but no new functionality is being announced at this time.   If there is specific functionality that you seek, please submit a suggestion so that it can be prioritized.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO