[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN IRR Roadmap

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Feb 22 15:13:16 EST 2018

On Tuesday at NANOG there was a presentation on ARIN's IRR Roadmap.

https://youtu.be/tsWq_LgNS5s

To me, one of the more interesting questions was should the old data be
carried over into the new system.  My answer is both YES and NO.
More precisely, NO unverified IRR data should not be imported into the new
ARIN IRR. However YES, I want the opportunity to import and validate my
current data from the old ARIN IRR, or other IRRs for that matter, and have
it published into the new system.

To facilitate this transition I would suggest renaming the old ARIN IRR, to
something like "ARINOLD", allowing the new ARIN IRR to use the name
"ARIN".  This would allow both the old and new ARIN IRRs to be available
for some period of time, I'd suggest a year or more.

Also, I would like to have the ability to import routing information from
the live BGP routing system and be able to validate it for publication into
the new ARIN IRR as well. Think of it as an IRR wizard, the wizard would
look at the BGP routing system and recommends the creation or removal of
IRR entries based on my live BGP announcements.  It would also be great if
there was such a wizard for RPKI ROAs in ARIN's RPKI system too.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815 <(612)%20626-0815>
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952 <(612)%20812-9952>