[ARIN-consult] [E] Re: Consultation on Orphaned Organization (Org) and Point of Contact (POC) Records

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Aug 3 10:41:42 EDT 2018

On 2 Aug 2018, at 9:30 AM, Stephen R. Middleton via ARIN-consult <arin-consult at arin.net<mailto:arin-consult at arin.net>> wrote:

From: <stephen.r.middleton at verizon.com<mailto:stephen.r.middleton at verizon.com>>
Subject: RE: [E] Re: [ARIN-consult] Consultation on Orphaned Organization (Org) and Point of Contact (POC) Records
Date: 2 August 2018 at 9:30:24 AM EDT
To: David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu<mailto:farmer at umn.edu>>, ARIN <info at arin.net<mailto:info at arin.net>>
Cc: "<arin-consult at arin.net<mailto:arin-consult at arin.net>>" <arin-consult at arin.net<mailto:arin-consult at arin.net>>
I suspect that we are seeing an uptick in orphaned supporting records (Orgs and POCs) relating to the increase in ARIN Fees (account consolidations to reduce costs) and the sale of IPv4 addresses where the total held assets are transferred.  In both cases we are seeing consolidations and centralizations of resources creating more orphans.

Steven -

You are correct.

First, it is worth noting that difference between the 1 year and 2 year criterion is about when record would be considered orphaned, not with regard to the time that the record was created. That means we didn’t have 65k records created and then orphaned in a single year. It means 65k more records of varying ages would be considered orphaned using the 1 year criterion.

Second, the 65k number is driven by the significant increase in specified recipient transfers. Any time we complete a specified recipient transfer, all reassignment records are removed from the network, and in some cases this can be an extremely large number of reassignments being deleted. When a reassignment record is removed from the database, the associated Org ID and POCs are not deleted unless the upstream ISP conducts separate transactions to do so (which almost never happens).  Applying a one-year threshold today means that records that became orphaned in late 2016 and early 2017 are included in the total count, and that was definitely a period of heavy transfer activity.

An analysis of current data shows that of the 497,119 general use Org IDs with at least one reassignment in our database today (i.e. simple reassignments excluded), 91% have one and only one reassignment. Put simply, this means that when a reassignment is deleted (very often due to a specified recipient transfer), there’s about a 91% chance it will result in orphaned Org and POC records.   Of the 454,090 Org IDs that currently have one and only one reassignment, 81,480 (18%) are duplicates (i.e. share the exact same organization name with another of the 454,090). While there may be differences in street address, contacts, etc, this suggests an opportunity on the part of ISPs to examine their SWIP publication practices and cut down on duplicate records, which in turn reduces orphaned records.

Hopefully this additional information will provide some insight into the present situation with orphaned records, and thus help advance the overall consultation discussion.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO