[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Prohibiting Attachments on ARIN Mailing Lists

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue Apr 24 11:35:41 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 10:56:06AM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 8:23 AM, Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 08:21:36AM -0400, ARIN wrote:
> >> * Question:  Should attachments be prohibited on ARIN public
> >> mailing lists?
> >
> > I do not have a particular opinion on that, but *if* you disallow attachments,
> > please make it smart enough to not break PGP-signed mails in MIME format
> > (which come with an "attachment" for the signature) in the process.
>
> Hi Gert,
>
> "Not break" as in maintain the signature or "not break" as in don't
> strip the signature and then keep the multipart/signed content-type
> breaking the validator?

"do not fumble with mail that is PGP signed", not in any way.

Do not modify the body, those header parts that are covered by the
signature, or the signature itself, or the MIME structure tieing parts
together.

> Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing all emails squashed to a single
> MIME text/plain part. It might even improve the quoting mess where a
> lot of mail software can't figure out how to mark the components of
> the mail or sometimes indents an entire paragraph unwrapped instead of
> indenting the lines.

I would totally second *that* :-) - but I'm afraid that was not the
question asked.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279