[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Expanding the Size of the ARIN Board of Trustees

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Apr 10 11:04:36 EDT 2018

On 10 Apr 2018, at 9:59 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> If we do decide to move forward with this, rather than having a complex process forever enshrined in Article VI section 4, might it not be more prudent to treat this as any other board shortage due to (e.g. resignation)?
>
> That is, upon the decision to increase the board from 6 to 9, rather than phasing in over 3 years, instruct the nominating committee to expand the candidate slate in the next election and then process the election results as follows:
> 	The top three candidates receiving the most votes are elected to three year terms.
> 	The next candidate is elected to a 2 year term.
> 	The candidate receiving the fifth highest number of votes is elected to a 1 year term.
>
> (This is already documented in section 7 of the bylaws)

Owen -

    Indeed, that would be a simpler approach.  Upon drafting the change in a rather similar manner, it was pointed out to me during legal review that the recommendaed practice is to phase in the new board seats over time, as this provides for easier acclimation of new Board members, prevents sudden shifts in direction that could come from a dramatic shift in composition, and avoids creating a potential capture opportunity when adding a large number of seats in one election.

   While the transition language does remain in the Bylaws after its fulfilled its usefulness, this is quite common (and can always be cleaned up in any subsequent Bylaws update.)

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO