[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Proposed 2018 Fee Schedule Changes

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Apr 9 14:15:29 EDT 2018

On 9 Apr 2018, at 1:38 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> This so-called “modest” $150/year increase in my fees is neither desired, nor appreciated and frankly, no, I’m not seeing
> a significant expansion in recent years of the ARIN services I use or of the number of interactions I carry out with ARIN
> annually in relation to my resources (which, if you don’t count paying my invoices) is approximately zero.

Owen -

Indeed – those who have had their resources for some time are likely to have less interactions with ARIN, but we still get requests for changes due to changing circumstances, and the average party coming to us is not quite as familiar with ARIN and its processes as you are...

> I realize that since end-users don’t have voting rights unless they subscribe to an additional $500/year poll tax, we are easy targets here, but I do not support the proposed increase being borne entirely by the end-user with no impact on ISPs.

While end-users do not have voting rights, our community consultation processes are open to all (just as our policy development processes), so end-users have significant input into ARIN direction regardless – also note that organizations can consolidation their resources under a single agreement, pay as the appropriate size registration services plan (which may be less in some cases the per-object maintainance fees, and become a voting ARIN member in the process.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO