[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Proposed 2018 Fee Schedule Changes

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 9 13:53:24 EDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 9:43 AM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> The ARIN Board is proposing the following fee changes:
>
>     * Increasing the annual registry maintenance fee paid by end users
> for each IPv4 address block, IPv6 address block, and Autonomous System
> Number (“ASN”) from $100 to $150 per object. Registration Services Plan
> customers do not pay these annual registry maintenance fees as all
> services are already covered in their plan.
>     * Increasing the annual Legacy maintenance fee for each IPv4 address
>     * Increasing the initial and annual registration fee for ARIN
> Transfer Facilitators from $100 to $1,000, in order to cover rising
> costs associated with services.
>
> We are seeking community feedback on these modifications to ARIN’s Fee
> schedule that we intend to implement sometime mid-year 2018.

Howdy,

Some thoughts and questions:

1. Would you give us a historical perspective on the budget? What has
ARIN spent each year since its inception in 1997? It would be helpful
to see it in both actual and 2018 dollars.

2. The communications and outreach budgets total more than 1.5M which
excludes member meetings and travel. What are they spent on?

3. Are Bill Woodcock's 88 staff and 45 engineer numbers correct? Would
you elaborate? The folks I work for run an operation whose technical
complexity is in the same ballpark as ARIN's but we do it with 15
engineers (operations and software development).

4. Would you break down the $1.5M travel budget?

5. What are you depreciating at more than 15% of the budget?

6. What alternatives to increasing end-user registration fees did the
board evaluate? Why does it recommend increasing end-user fees instead
of those alternatives?

Thanks,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us