[ARIN-consult] Expanding the Board

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Apr 8 01:29:10 EDT 2018

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 4:32 PM, vinton cerf <vgcerf at gmail.com> wrote:
> I misread the proposal forgetting that John is the tenth member ex officio,
> so I agree with ten.
>
> vint

Greetings,

A Google search for "effective decision making group size" reveals as
its first hit this paper:

https://sheilamargolis.com/2011/01/24/what-is-the-optimal-group-size-for-decision-making/

Which concludes, "if you’re looking for the best size for a team,
consider an odd number close to five."

Another top hit references the book, "Decide & Deliver: 5 Steps to
Breakthrough Performance in Your Organization." The authors found
that, "Once you've got 7 people in a group, each additional member
reduces decision effectiveness by 10%."

Also, even numbers (like 10) are bad for decision making. A google
search of, "decision making even odd" finds as its first hit:
http://www.governinggood.ca/is-your-board-odd-4/

This research reports, "boards with an odd number of members may make
better decisions."

So having spent a little time reviewing published research on optimal
board sizes, I respectfully disagree with your support of ARIN's
10-member board plan.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us