[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Expanding the Size of the ARIN Board of Trustees

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 6 17:19:00 EDT 2018

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 4:59 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> For example, when the NANOG community was maturing and the concept of having
> a formal NANOG organization was raised, the ARIN Board had to discuss
> various options, such as supporting the initiative (which was the ultimate
> decision including initial organizational and financial support), but the
> options discussed also included possible directions that could have
> adversely impacted the initiative simply by being brought before the entire
> ARIN community.   While we had a Board which had sufficient breadth of
> knowledge to consider the options in confidence, that was not assure to be
> the case given its relatively modest size.

Respectfully, this is a perfect example of mission creep. ARIN was
long ago asked to coordinate meetings with NANOG for the convenience
of folks who wish to attend both. Greater interaction exceeded ARIN's
mission scope. There was no call for the ARIN board to debate anything
at all about whether NANOG decided to move out from under MERIT.

Far from offering a bulwark, more board members would offer idle hands
to exacerbate this problem.

Regards.
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us