[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Expanding the Size of the ARIN Board of Trustees

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 6 16:07:11 EDT 2018

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 3:35 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> Specifically, the question is simply how small of a Board does the ARIN
> community feel comfortable when it comes to setting strategic direction
> in sensitive matters that are too early to engage with the full community.

John, that's mission creep. The community doesn't want ARIN or its
board to set a strategic direction for the Internet or any part of it.
That's not the proper role of a *registry*. A registry records and
reports. They don't "direct."

> Review of our past remarkable successes is what drives my concern
> that it is possible for a competent and diverse Board of six well-qualified
> members to nonetheless lack similar deep understanding of key portions
> of the Internet ecosystem, simply because the Internet of today has
> many more layers involved in service delivery and six skilled Board
> members can only span so much industry knowledge.

Respectfully, if ARIN's board lacks any breadth it is most likely
because the membership who elected them reflect a similar breadth.
That's a problem with the selection process for the board, not its
size. As we also discussed last year.

> Moving to a slightly larger Board reduces the possibility of gaps in
> the Board’s overall understanding of the Internet ecosystem

I've heard no credible reason to suppose that adding more board
members with the same selection criteria would have a positive impact
on this goal. Didn't hear it last year. Not hearing it this year.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>