[ARIN-consult] DMARC on ARIN Mailing Lists (was: Re: Community Consultation on CKN23-ARIN Now Open)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Apr 26 16:56:58 EDT 2017

On 26 Apr 2017, at 11:31 AM, Adam Brenner <adam at solidnetwork.org<mailto:adam at solidnetwork.org>> wrote:

Sorry for the spam if you got this message twice, but I suspect that ARIN's mailing list is not properly setup to handle domains that have DMARC records setup.

Adam -

   Actually, it is not at all clear if it is presently possible to operate a mailing list in a
   manner which meets both existing community expectations for mailing list behavior
   _and_ also aligns with DMARC's expectations regarding header/sender alignment.

   As result, there is an abundance of discussion currently going on this very topic (e.g.
   when certain large email providers began to reject based on DMARC settings), as
   well as an Internet-wide scramble to update to mailing list management software to
   allow for selection of a variety of new settings for message munging [all suboptimal
   in one manner or another] entirely to work around the interoperability issues with
   DMARC that are well-detailed in RFC 7960.

I had to disable DMARC on my entire domain to get this message posted.

   Indeed - telling all receiving mail transfer agents (MTA’s) not to accept email that
   is purportedly from your domain but coming from a different MTA, and then using
   mailing lists that do exactly this behavior is likely to result in some issues for the
   rather obvious reasons...

@John: this should _probably_ be fixed if you want to solicit feedback from the community. :-)

https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC
The DMARC authors essentially acknowledge that adopting DMARC
requires changing mailing list habits.  You cannot continue to
run your mailing list the way you always have, in DMARC
compatible way.

   <chuckle>  How nice.

   The Internet has reminded the DMARC community that one must "Be liberal in what
   you accept, and conservative in what you send”, or your solution will not be robust…
   (the very definition of the present state of DMARC operations in the Internet today)

   However, in regards to your specific suggestion – we are researching using DMARC
   on ARIN’s mailing lists, and will develop a plan that attempts to accommodate it with
   a minimum of impact to participants in the ARIN community.   It is quite possible that
   will require an additional consultation with community on this very mailing list, so you
   might want to keep that DMARC setting turned off for a while if you wish to participate.

Thank you,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO