[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Transfer Fees Now Open

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Sep 15 08:57:48 EDT 2016

So I’ve been watching this and thinking about the situation. It occurs to me that perhaps we should consider the following:

1.	Open up a pre-approval process for resource suppliers similar to the current pre-approval process
	for requestors.

2.	Set a fee for pre-approval that would apply only to resources being pre-approved which are not already subject
	to an RSA. Ideally, this fee should be nominal, but large enough to discourage abuse of the process.

3.	Charge the same fee for any supplier of transferred resources not covered by RSA, whether at time of request
	or in a pre-approval process.

4.	Possibly provide some mechanism by which entities that wish to do so can have their pre-approved resources marked
	as such in whois and/or STLS.

This fee would be separate from the fee collected for a transfer at the time of the transfer, though that fee could, potentially, be reduced accordingly to reflect the lower cost of transactions involving known resources. In this way, the seller would be responsible for paying the provenance costs and the buyer would be responsible for paying the administrative costs of processing the transfer.

This seems like a good balance to me.

Thoughts?

Owen