[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Transfer Fees Now Open

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Sep 11 21:22:01 EDT 2016

On Sep 11, 2016, at 5:20 PM, David R Huberman <daveid at panix.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> Two comments:
>
> 1) Would the proposed change -- moving transfer fees to the beginning of the process -- assist ARIN staff in stemming significant amount of possibly fradulent transfer requests?

David -

Definitely - we presently have a sizable number of requests made at no cost to the requester
which do not appear to be legitimate, but are initiated speculatively and/or optimistically (i.e.
in the hope that ARIN won’t detect the attempt at hijacking)   The proposed change is unlikely
to deter bona fide requests (as it does not change the cost of a successful transfer) but could
easily change the economics for ones not made in good faith.

> 2) Instead of assuming the source entity is going to be invoiced, please understand that in a 8.3 transfer, there are often 4 parties (source, recipient, broker, ARIN), and in a 8.4 transfer, there are at least 5 parties.  Can ARIN please *ask* the submitter of the transfer request to identify the party who will pay the transfer fee, and create an invoice accordingly?

Interesting point - I believe this can be done (and will confirm shortly.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO