[ARIN-consult] [ARIN-Suggestions] New Suggestion - ACSP 2016.4 - Waiting List for 2 Byte ASNs

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Thu Mar 31 14:43:25 EDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 10:49:30AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Your argument amounts to the convenience of the networks in question
> in that they have not implemented (apparently) appropriate
> extended-community schemes to address clients with 32-bit ASNs.

Can you recommend a specific Extended Community Type and Subtype for
this purpose? Or maybe point me at a standard that defines something
akin to "32bit:32bit"-style (64 bits in total), much like how many
networks use "16bit:16bit" as I described?

It would also be helpful if you can point me at publicly-known
deployments of such schemes based on Extended Communities.

Alternatively, we can accept that "the community thing" is not a red
herring. Acknowledging the tangible difference between 16-bit and 32-bit
ASNs should help the discussion at hand.

Kind regards,

Job