[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Consultation - Retirement of IPv4 Countdown Plan

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Mar 21 15:45:33 EDT 2016

On Mar 21, 2016, at 3:26 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do we have any easy-to-pull stats on what % of requests that originally come in as regular IPv4 requests and placed on the waiting list eventually get fulfilled via transfer? (If it's not easy to calculate, don't bother: I think the arguments in favor of ending team review are strong enough without knowing).

Scott -

     We haven’t been tracking whether a transfer recipient was previously
     on the waiting list (although it may be in the ticket notes since parties
     on the waiting list already have a determination of the qualified need
     for IPv4 resources); assembly of statistics for that purpose would be
     a manual process.

     We do know how many parties are coming off the waiting list due to
     resources becoming available - for example, when the IANA issued to
     ARIN a /15 worth of IPv4 resources from the returned address pool,
     we were able to fulfill six requests pending on the waiting list. [1]  Given
     the size of the list, it is unlikely that parties being added presently will
     ever receive IPv4 resources (at least through the useful life of the IPv4
     protocol.)

/John

John Curran
President and CEO